The Importance of Evaluating Your Life

The Importance of Evaluating Your Life

This week I wanted to take a minute and evaluate how my life is going. I thought it would be a good opportunity for everyone who is reading this Blog to do the same. 

Hmm... things about my life right now. I am currently happily married, living in a great apartment, adding money to our bank account each month after expenses, and getting fairly good grades. In terms of marriage, financial, and my job, I would say that I am doing pretty good. There are still some definite areas of my life that I still struggle with. I struggle with balancing schoolwork with the rest of my responsibilities, I struggle with staying spiritual and making time to pray and study my scriptures, and I struggle with staying in good contact with my family, mostly my parents and siblings. 

The great thing about evaluating your life is that it gives you the opportunity to think deeply on where you can improve and then make a plan to address those issues. For me the first step in improving is always talking to my wife. I like to talk to my wife because she always has good ideas for me to try out, and she does a wonderful job of keeping me accountable to my goals. Luckily we can even sometimes work on things together so that we both improve. 
For example, when it comes to schoolwork, I have been trying to study for my exams earlier than the day of my test. With my wife's help, I try t study for 30 minutes every day on the exams I have that week. This will help my test grades improve and make my life more balanced.
In terms of allowing the spirit more readily into my life, I make sure that in our marriage we pray together each night before going to bed. My wife helps remind me that we should read the Come Follow Me for the week and this gets our minds into the scriptures. 
I have also been trying to keep in better contact with my family. I call my family more often and try to involve myself in their life. 

I am also taking a religion class at BYU-Idaho this semester that has assignments that can help me in another facet of my life. Continued dating of my wife! Essentially continuing to work on my marriage through learning and growing closer to my eternal companion. For one assignment, titled provident living, we are invited to start a new heavenly habit. Examples of this are things like family home evening, scripture study, eating healthy, and budgeting. There are also options that are all about dating. I love taking my wife on dates, so I am looking forward to this assignment. Our class also has extra credit opportunities and one of them is to take your spouse on a date about getting to know them better. The religion class I am taking is called Eternal Families, and I know that our family relationships are the most important ones we have on this earth. I am excited to do these projects and improve that relationship. 

In the same class we are also put into teams. I have a great team. We had them all over for dinner once, and we playing games another time, and we plan to do a service project together later next week. We all get along together well and it is a joy to get to know them better. The topic we have been assigned for class is "The sacred powers of procreation (sexual purity before and after marriage)". I have liked learning more about this subject and realizing the importance of it. 

Overall there is value to evaluating your life, and your classes. I think it is something we should all do. More often than just at every new year at the least. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using Statistics: What Factors Impact Gun Use?

The Origin of True Authority

Rent to Buy Marriages